I wasn’t planning to participate in today’s Friday Five since I had a pretty busy week, but after reading a few of the other blogger’s posts I got really excited about the topic so I decided to play along.
1. Big Sur Marathon – My husband and I took a 10 day road trip on the California coast for our honeymoon. We traveled in a convertible Mustang from San Diego to San Francisco along the Pacific Coast Highway. It was the most breathtaking drive of my life and I was in complete and total awe throughout most of the journey. In the future, I would like to take another Californian road trip but do it in an RV Rental Los Angeles as I think this would be a very comfortable way of traveling around the area and seeing what it has to offer. This was a year or so before I began running long distance, so I hadn’t ever considered how it would be to travel this by foot. But ever since my first half marathon, I’ve never stopped thinking how amazing it would be to participate in this monumental marathon. It would be extremely difficult to train for this extremely elevated course in Florida, but I would be willing to tough it out for the spectacular memories and views.
2. Italy/Sicily – My paternal family is from Sicily, so I have always wanted to travel overseas to visit the village where we are from. I watched The Spirit of the Marathon 2, which takes place over the course of the Rome marathon, and I was immediately drawn to this location. Not only would it be one of the most fulfilling runs of my life, it would be extremely personal to my heritage and family roots.
3. New York City – Thankfully, I won’t have to wait too long to participate in this city’s famous marathon. I won the New York Road Runner’s lottery this year, but had to defer to 2015 since I’m pregnant. You can read about that drama on this post. Aside from the fact that this is one of our nation’s most popular marathons, and the best city in our country, I want to run in NYC for the simple fact that it’s got culture at every corner to soak in and experience. I’ve been to NY several times, and I have even traveled to all five boroughs, but I still do not feel like I’ve seen enough. New York is a fascinating city with so much to offer. I just can’t get enough of the culture. So what better way to soak it all in, than to run by foot through the streets.
4. Vegas – Okay, Okay….. call me a party animal, but I love vegas. All the lights, the excitement and the entertainment…. it’s just spectacular. The Rock and Roll Marathon would be an absolute adventure in my opinion. With my love of rock-n-roll, and the views along the Vegas Strip, this would be a memorable run, without a doubt.
5. Disney World – Technically, I’ve already ran at Disney. When I completed the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, we began at the Wild World of Sports and traveled through Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and finished at Epcot’s Spaceship Earth. But there’s just something special about running through Main Street USA and the Magic Kingdom that makes me really anxious to participate in the Disney Marathon at the “Happiest place on Earth.” I saw this course video on Youtube and I knew that one day I would run under Cinderella’s castle towards the finish one for 26.2.
What is one of your top 5 places where you’d like to run?